Events and Conferences
Local Capacity is critical to sustaining any educational reform. Schools pursuing Authentic Intellectual Work are encouraged to send lead staff to join a local coach cohort. These Local Coaches become the site’s vision-keepers of the reform by:
- Planning the professional development for the building through an AIW lens, and
- Keeping the effort cohesive by bridging leadership with staff and central office.
The pathway of required experiences for consideration includes:
- Scoring regularly on an AIW team for at least one year
- Participating in leadership team meetings with the Lead Coach
- Demonstrating leadership in AIW in the school or district
- Demonstrating skills in collaboration and facilitation in working with teachers
- Attending the AIW Coordinator's Academy
- Helping plan staff development for school or district
Once selected, Local Coaches participate in a year-long cohort experience. Experiences include:
- Local Coach's Summer Institute
- Three Institutes during the school year
- One Skype conference
- Reflection using the Learning Team 4 Growth protocol
Iowa Recertification Credit and Minnesota CEUs will be available for attending the Local Coaches Institutes.
Local Coaches Summer Institutes 2013
When: June 24-27, 2013
When: July 10 -12, 2013
For Minnseota registrants, registration to be posted
For Iowa registrants, use nomination process
Jen Cadwell, Center for AIW
Katy Evenson, Iowa Center for Excellence
Scoring with other teachers involved in AIW is a powerful and energizing expereince. Each year there are Mid-year Institutes held. These are locally planned so as information becomes available, we will post it.
- Check out Sarah Brown Wessling's Mid-Year keynote from the 2013 Iowa AIW Mid-Year Institute, sponsored by Heartland Area Education Agency (AEA 11). This event was hosted by Gilbert Community School District in February 2013.
- Check out the AIW Highlights Video from the 2012 Iowa AIW Mid-Year Institute, sponsored by AEA 267. The footage captured was from the Keynote Address and the Breakout Sessions.
- Read more about the 2012 Iowa AIW Mid-Year Institute, sponsored by Northwest AEA.
AIW Mid-Year Institutes
Greenhills AEA AIW Mid-Year
January 3, 2014—Corner Conference in Southwest Iowa
Heartland AEA AIW Mid-Year
February 7, 2014—Nevada Community School District
Green Hills AEA AIW Mid-Year
February 10, 2014—Creston Community School District, Creston, IA
Northwest AEA AIW Mid-Year
February 14, 2014—Sioux Center High School 550 9th St. Ne, Sioux Center, IA 51250 Phone (712) 722-2981
Please Register by January 25, 2013
Minnesota Mid-Year Institute
When: March 2013
- Location: TBD
- Registration: Coming soon!
- More information coming SOON!